7/10/2008

Honduras part 3

Here is part three of this amazing trip. For those that haven’t stayed with use here is what happened. Day 1, long flight to Honduras; day 2, hiked through the jungle while friends at home went to prom; day 3, went to church and Copan; day 4, saw the ruins and Copan. Now that everybody is caught up here it goes. We are now on day five out of the ten. Half way there to the end, so sad isn’t it?

The next day, day five for those that haven’t read the ones before, we got on another bus that went to an airport that was really small. When we got there it was great weather. It wasn’t raining at all. So Jared and I bought tickets for an island called Roatan. It is a really big scuba diving place. Well we sat there and waited and waited. Ten minutes after we got there, they shutdown the airport and no planes can take off or land. We decided to wait a little long, three o’clock, and it was ten o’clock when we decided this. So you can imagine the waiting that we did. At three we went to the docks to get a ticket for the fairy. Luckily we got our money back from the airport. Once we got to the fairy we did some more waiting. The nickname of the fairy is the vomit comet. For everyone that took this fairy gets sick, and throws up. It was a two and a half hour boat ride which was bad for it was really stormy out on the ocean. There were waves that were so big that the boat would hit them at the front and the waves would still reach the back of the boat, where we were. I have to admit, this was the first time I have had the dry heaves. They are not something that I want every again. Those that have had them know why. Once when we got to the island, the weather had calmed down. We got off the boat and tried to find a taxi that would take us to the west side. Here is where we meat David, a really cool guy.


When we got to West End, the little area on the west side, we started to look for a place to stay for a few days. The only problem was that it was like ten o’clock when we finally got to West End; so most of the hotels and other places were closed for the night. Luckily Jared remembered the “Pink Giant,” that is what we called it for it was huge and pink with green rooms. My dad would have said that it was the perfect Mexican hotel. That is just how my dad is just so you know. After we found a place to stay we went hunting for food. We food a hamburger place that was on a dock, this place was not a very good place to eat. Since it was on a dock, and waves on the west side were still bad; it just made us sick again. This is the part that I think is funny, for Jared still makes fun of me throwing up, he through up at the restaurant. He says that it wasn’t because that he was sea sick, but something else. I disagree with him on that totally.


The next day, the 6th day, Jared and I went into town to find a place so I can go through some scuba class and get certified. We found one called the Coconut Tree. The owners name was really weird to, his name was Tree. I think that he had it changed when he became a tree huger. Were I started my classes that day. All I did for this day was watch videos on scuba diving. It was long and very boring. The videos were really stupid and they kept telling jokes that made no since what so ever. While I was doing this Jared was taking a warm-up course and then he did a dive. I think that this was one of the longest days that I have ever had down there. At least I got done with all the book work in that one day. The videos went along with it so it was pretty easy.


Day seven was a lot better for me not so much for Jared. I got to go diving and get most of my certification done. It wasn’t that good for Jared for he was getting really sick. His ear was also hurting him really badly from diving. On my first dive my instructor and I walked out to the bay and just swam to where we were going to dive. It wasn’t really that hard to get out there. I think that the hardest part for me was getting used to breathing under water and empting my mask of water under water. Something that doesn’t make since now does it. Those that have gone scuba diving know that it is possible to do this. Those that haven’t gone, here is how you do that. First, you grab your mask and lift the bottom up a little and blow through your nose as hard as possible. Then you let go of the mask right when you stop. If you don’t do this; your mask will fill right back up, and you don’t want to lift up the bottom to much or it won’t work. After this I went back to the shore and meet up with my brother. We had lunch and then went back to go for another dive. This one Jared went with me. This was a really cool dive for I got to see a lot of sea life. Not as much as Jared for he went deep then I did, but I don’t care. I got to swim with a sea turtle and a lot of different kinds of fish. It was really cool to do that. When this dive was done and when I reached the surface I got really sick. Once when I got the mouth piece out of my mouth, I through upped into the ocean. The cool thing is that the vomit was a florescent green. We got back to the shore and I was supposed to go for another dive, but I was really sick so I didn’t go. On the way back to our hotel we decided that we were going to head back for El Progresso. So I went and got my scuba paper work and went back to the hotel.


Stay tuned for part four.

1 comment:

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

I love your pictures, they are so awesome!!! What a neat experience, I can't wait to hear about some more of it!